Saturday 17 July 2010

Out of the city -Bagamoyo

Well well well.
This week I've been working hard like Japanese.
You never know when I decide to adopt Tanzanian "pole-pole" (のんびり/chilled out? or in other words, SLOW) style though!

I've been working both inside and outside the office. Out of the office, I've had several occasions to meet current volunteers in and outside Dar. It's always good to hear stories of other people's experience, especially of people who have somehow ended up being here!

So, out of the city, I went to Bagamoyo - about an hour+ north of Dar.


Bagamoyo is the oldest town in Tanzania and is one of the world heritage site in this country. "Bagamoyo" means "lay down your heart" - it used to be a port for slave trade, so it was the last town of homeland slaves would stay in (so the meaning is kinda nice but sad). There are some remains of stone walls and buildings, but it is now just a small, peaceful town.


Walking down the street of Bagamoyo.. (I saw GOATS walking around but can't put too many pictures)


What is called "fish market" - where they pile fish on wooden boards and.. I didn't see any selling&buying happening.. what I saw was people frying fishes in massive pans!


And of course, beautiful friendly local people. A guy selling fried cassava, おすましmodel-look kid, local massai guys (and the volunteer, it's not me).

Did they look poor and sad? No, they might not have things we have in the convenient world, but they live in their way and it seems ok. What is my work for? I think I have my answer, but I shall keep thinking while I'm here, with an open mind!

So, conclusion for today: I love countryside :)

No comments:

Post a Comment